May is National Bike Month! To celebrate, the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition has May Power, a fun way to engage in the joys of biking.
How the month looks –
- May 1 to 9 is Flower Power week. Please take a picture of flowers you see while riding and post with the hashtag #FlowerPowerSVBC.
- May 10 to May 16 is People Power week. Take a picture of yourself on your bike and post with the hashtag #PeoplePowerSVBC.
- May 14 Bike to Wherever Day! Though Bike to Work Day is postponed from May 14 to September 24,you can still celebrate biking on May 14.
- May 17 to May 23 is Pedal Power week. Take a picture of your shoe and pedal and post with the hashtag #PedalPowerSVBC.
- May 24 to May 31 is Wheel Power week. Take a picture of or through your bicycle wheel and post with the hashtag #WheelPowerSVBC.
If you would like to track your rides and compare your progress with others in our community, please sign up for the Bay Area Bike Challenge. While the challenge officially runs from Sept 1 to Sept 30, you can sign up early and use the service year around to track your rides and prepare for when the challenge starts! On the results page you can compare your stats with other riders in our area and join a group or form a new group to compete against your friends. You can use Strava to log your rides and push them to LoveToRide or use the free LoveToRide app directly.
If you are unsure how to get started take advantage of a series of free online webinars from Commute.org and Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition. They have collaborated to deliver a series of free online webinars open to everyone on five Wednesdays from 12-1pm starting April 22. These webinars will cover everything you need to know to get riding and ride safer. For more information on these and to register, please visit the Commute.org Bicycle Education Webinar Series.